Website on nuclear and radiation safety and non-proliferation
Beginning of construction – 1979
Start up of the Unit 1– 1984
Number of power units — 6
Type of reactor — VVER-1000
Total capacity — 6000 MW
NPP Satellite town — Energodar, Zaporizhzhya region
Zaporizhzhya NPP is the largest nuclear power plant not only in Ukraine, but also in Europe. It is situated in the steppe zone of Ukraine, on the bank of the Kakhovka water reservoir. In the period from 1984 to 1987 the four power units had been put into operation. Unit 5 was started up in 1989 and unit 6 — in 1995.
Zaporizhzhya NPP is a state-of-the-art high-tech enterprise, a powerful electricity supplier in Ukraine.
The plant generates 40-42 billion kWh that accounts for one fifth of the average annual electricity production in Ukraine and for almost 47% of electricity generated at Ukrainian NPPs.
In 1992 the Training Center comprising full scope simulators, which are full analogs of control rooms of units 1, 3, 5, was established at ZNPP to maintain high level of occupational training.
ZNPP is the first among Ukrainian nuclear power plants with VVER type reactors that constructed on-site spent fuel dry storage facility (SFDSF). Commercial operation of this facility started on August 10, 2004.The designed capacity of SFDSF at Zaporizhzhya NPP is 380 casks that will provide for storage of all spent fuel assemblies, which are removed from the reactors during the overall plant service-life. Currently, 80 casks have already been installed on the site. SFDSF of Zaporizhzhya NPP is the first nuclear facility, whose design passed all stages of the review and approval envisaged by the new nuclear legislation of Ukraine.
For the first time in the CIS, Information and Measuring System «Koltso» («Ring»), intended for regular radiation monitoring on the industrial site of the nuclear power plant, at sanitary protection and 30-kilometers radiation control zones, was put into operation at Zaporizhzhya NPP.